Pillar Name: Educate The Children
Pillar lead : Sr. Haseena Habib
Many children in our community suffer from homelessness, poverty, neglect and disabilities. These children have less or no educational services. Education is the key to success and this pillar helps to alleviate their situation.
What do we aim to accomplish?
- Create the conditions that make the children engaged and motivated to learn and apply their creative thinking skills
- Collaborate and apply skills to real world
- Promoting parent and family engagement
What are the needs in the community?
- 1 in 4 children in America grow up without learning how to read
- Students who don’t read proficiently by 3rd grade are 4 times likely to drop out of school
- 80% of preschool and after school programs serving low income groups have no age appropriate books
Why do we need to focus on this issue?
- Better future for the kids and families and society
- Increase in income and quality of living
- Improves their self confidence and higher self esteem
- Builds a bridge between us (EPIC community) and different faiths.
What are we going to do?
- Teach and tutor kids after school
- Collect books and donate to them
- Introduce them to arts- drawing, painting, drama and more
- Teaching self-help skills and crafts to special need kids.
- Physical education
Heart House is a nonprofit organization providing education to underprivileged and refugee children.
They will be offering an after-school academic enrichment program for our students ages K-8th grade. Volunteers will be reading, doing enrichment projects, and participate in snack and recess with the kids Monday through Friday, 3pm – 6pm.
In order to sign-up for tutoring, all volunteers must have attended an orientation first.
Please see here for our past volunteer experiences with Heart House.